Calçada da Igreja de S. Lázaro
Calçada da Igreja de S. Lázaro begins at Rua do Volong and Rua de João de Almeida in the east and meets Estrada do Repouso, Rua de D. Belchior Carneiro and Rua de Tomás Vieira in the west. Completed on 20 February, 1904, it was named in commemoration of the first Western hospital for contagious patients founded in China. In May 1568, the Portuguese Jesuit Belchior Carneiro arrived in Macao and set up a leprosarium within Hospital de S. Rafael. The leprosarium was later moved to the neighborhood of the St. Lazarus ’ Church located beyond the city wall and relocated to Dom João Island in the 1870s. In 1885, the female lepers were moved to Ká  Hó, Coloane. The Portuguese administration of Macao named the nearby five streets by reference to the St. Lazarus’  Church as a commemoration.
The St. Lazarus’  Church is one of the three oldest churches in Macao. It was once the Cathedral of Macao and was upgraded to become the 4th  parish of Macao in 1923.
Last Update :
Please use Chrome.
© Municipal Affairs Bureau, All rights reserved