Home > Street Discovery Journey > Taking a Walk through the Streets of Macao > Footprints of Poets of Modern Macao > St. Paul’s Church

St. Paul’s Church

    Built circa 1602 to 1603, the St. Paul’s Church was destroyed in a big fire during 1835. But its stone façade, whose construction spanned from 1603 to 1637, is still standing along the western slope of Monte Hill.
 
    During the Qing dynasty, Yin Guangren, the Commissioner of Military and Civil Affairs for Maritime Defense of Macao under Guangzhou government, included St. Paul’s Church into the “Ten Sceneries of Macao” depicted in his poems. He titled it as “Bell-ringing of St. Paul’s Church at Dawn”.
 
    Born in Changshu county of Jiangsu province, Wu Yushan of Ming dynasty had the closest association with St. Paul’s Church amongst all other poets. Upon arrival to Macao in 1681, he studied in the St. Paul’s College for three years to be a missionary.
Of all the Chinese poets who sojourned in Macao, Tang Xianzu, an official of Ming dynasty demoted to serve in Guangdong province, had visited St. Paul’s Church much earlier than that of Wu Yushan. He was the playwright of the famous Chinese opera “The Peony Pavilion”.
Address: Largo da Cordoaria, n.o  6A, Macao
Bus Route: 8、8A、26
Going to next stop: 2 minutes’ walk

Detailed information
Poetic Association between Tang Xianzu, Wu Yushan and St. Paul’s Church
St. Paul’s Church