Estrada do Repouso

  Estrada do Repouso is connected to Caminho dos Artilheiros in the south and Avenida do Almirante Lacerda in the north. Its name was already in the “Cadastro das Vias Públicas de Macau” (Cadastre of Public Roads of Macao), published in 1905. The Portuguese word “Repouso” means “rest” while the words “Kiang Wu” (鏡湖) in Chinese refer to the “Kiang Wu Hospital” that was founded along the road in 1872. In 1892, Dr. Sun Yat-sen worked as a volunteer doctor in the hospital.
  The office building of Fire Services Bureau was completed on 3 October, 1923 under the design of Chan Kuan Pui, a local designer. It was classified as one of the many buildings of architectural value on 31 December, 1992. The Fire Services Museum within the office building was officially inaugurated on 11 December, 1999.
  In 1952, Ho Yin raised funds to construct a cinema along the northern section of Estrada do Repouso, the Alegria Cinema, which is well-known and still in operation.


Estrada do Repouso