Home > History of Parishes and Streets > Parish of São Lázaro > Avenida do Conselheiro Ferreira de Almeida

Avenida do Conselheiro Ferreira de Almeida

  Avenida do Conselheiro Ferreira de Almeida meets Avenida do Coronel Mesquita in the north and is connected to Rua do Campo in the south.
  The road has three different names in Chinese. Ferreira de Almeida was an important member of the Parliament of Lisbon in the 19th  century. He became the Minister of the Navy in 1895 and was promoted to be the Navy Commander six years later. The word “Holandeses” in the Chinese name of the road is meant to mark the historical victory of the Portuguese army who repelled the Dutch invasion of Macao in 1622.
  Avenida do Conselheiro Ferreira de Almeida was documented in “Cadastro das Vias Públicas de Macau” (Cadastre of Public Roads of Macao) published in 1905. The starting points of the road in the northern and southern directions in 1925 were already the same as those of today and the Western-style buildings stretching from Tap Seac Square to Estrada de Adolfo Loureiro were already constructed.

Avenida do Conselheiro Ferreira de Almeida
Former Tap Siac Sports Ground in Avenida do Conselheiro Ferreira de Almeida