Avenida de Horta e Costa

  Avenida de Horta e Costa that begins at Avenida de Sidónio Pais in the east and extends to Avenida do Almirante Lacerda in the west was known as “Avenida de Ó Kou” in the past. It was already documented in “Cadastro das Vias Públicas de Macau” (Cadastre of Public Roads of Macao) published in 1905. “Ó Kou” was the transliteration of the surname, “Horta e Costa”, of one of the governors of Macao in Chinese. But then, as the pronunciation of “Ó Kou” in Cantonese was considered as inauspicious, the road was later on renamed as “Avenida de Horta e Costa”.
  Located on Avenida de Horta e Costa, the Almirante Lacerda Municipal Market , commonly known as the “Red Market”, has been included in the Heritage List of Macao. Pui Ching Middle School is one of the well-known secondary schools in Macao. It was founded in Guangzhou in 1889 and was given a plot of land at the northeastern corner of Lou Lim Ioc Garden to be its temporary campus in Macao after the outbreak of the Second Sino-Japanese War. The school is still in operation.

Avenida de Horta e Costa
Rotunda de Carlos da Maia (Three Lamps)