Rua de D. Belchior Carneiro

  Rua de D. Belchior Carneiro used to be known as Rua da Horta da Companhia in the past. In 1969, it was renamed as Rua de D. Belchior Carneiro in commemoration of the 400th anniversary of Bishop D. Belchior Carneiro’s arrival in Macao. 
  D. Belchior Carneiro was a Jesuit priest who became the first bishop of the Diocese of Macao. He founded the first charitable organization, Holy House of Mercy, and a Western hospital, St. Raphael’s Hospital, in Asia in 1569. He was the first person to introduce Western medicine into China. 
  The Our Lady of Mercy Home for the Elderly is located at the end of Rua de D. Belchior Carneiro. It was constructed by the Holy House of Mercy in 1925 and houses the elders that were relocated from Albergue da Santa Casa da Misericórdia de Macau.

Rua de D. Belchior Carneiro