Rua Central

  Built in 1848, Rua Central was once at the heart of Macao, with St. Augustine's Church located in the middle of the street. Known by the Chinese locals as "Long Song Temple", or "Dragon Beard Temple", the street was given the Chinese name "Long Song".
  Rua Central was one of the first localities in which the Portuguese first landed and settled. Here, they built quite a number of European-style buildings, including churches and monasteries.
  Rua Central witnessed Macao’s development as a city. From the mid-17th century to the late 18th century, prosperous foreign firms and enterprises relocated from Rua dos Mercadores to Nam Van district and Rua Central. Before Avenida de Almeida Ribeiro was built, Rua Central was the transport hub for local residents coming and going between the Inner Harbour and Colina da Penha.

Rua Central