Calçada do Tronco Velho

  Calçada do Tronco Velho, one of the oldest streets in Macao, was once named “Prison Alley”. The street was recorded on the list of Macao’s street names in the Macau Government Gazette dated 26th July 1869. Located on the west side of the "Leal Senado" Building, the street was 129 metres long and between 4 to 7 metres wide. In 1945, the Portuguese administration used the name of the recently completed Macao Tronco Velho Theatre to rename the street to "Calçada do Tronco Velho", replacing the somewhat undignified name.
  Today, the bustling audience that once poured out of the theatre on Calçada do Tronco Velho was a thing of the past, and so is the heavily guarded prison, returning the area to its original tranquil state.

Calçada do Tronco Velho