Rua do Chunambeiro

  Originally, Macao had just two bays: Nam Van to the south and North Bay to the north, while there was no Sai Van. Over the years, Nam Van was divided into Nam Van and Sai Van, between which Rua do Chunambeiro can be found.
  Rua do Chunambeiro was already on the list of Macao’s street names published in the Macau Government Gazette dated 26th July 1869. The name’s origin stemmed from Povoação do Chunambeiro, an ancient fishing village once located on the south-eastern foot of Colina da Penha. Between 1862 and 1874, the Portuguese administration built Rua da Praia Grande. The village eventually vanished when its lands and properties were acquired and homes abolished. These were then replaced by a number of streets named after Chunambeiro, which included Rua do Chunambeiro.

Rua do Chunambeiro