Avenida da República

  In 1910, the then Portuguese administration built a new road off the west coast of the Macao Peninsula. By the time the construction was completed, Portugal had demolished its monarchy and established a republic, thus giving the road its name.
  Walking south down the road, one can see a Portuguese-style mansion once considered as the most beautiful western-style building of Macao. In 1990, the Portuguese administration designated that mansion as the permanent site for the Macau Red Cross.
  At the road’s southern end lies a hotel called Pousada de São Tiago. Built on the hillside on the former site of Barra Fort, the hotel has kept the original façade of the fortress, reminiscent of a European castle from the Middle Ages.

Avenida da República