Travessa do Paiva

Travessa do Paiva, located in the Parish of São Lourenço, starts between Rua Central and Rua de S. Lourenço and ends in Avenida da Praia Grande, with a total length of about 140 metres and a width of about 8 metres. It is a cement road with a slight curve that runs from the northwest to the southeast. The earliest record of it can be found in “Boletim Oficial do Governo da Província de Macau e Timor” published on 26 July 1869. It was named in honour of Francisco José do Paiva, who served as Judge of the Municipal Council, Consul-General of Portugal in Hong Kong, and Commander of the Knights Templar. Many offices were set up in this lane by the Portuguese administration of Macao such as the Chinese Affairs Bureau, the Administrative, Tax and Accounts Court, and the Chinese Schools in Macao.
At the entrance to the lane, there is a stone-carved pillar of granite, with its top  featuring a lion head and a fish body. About 20 metres away, there is a six-storey building characterised by a fusion of Chinese and Portuguese styles. It is the building of the Government Head Office Auxiliary Bureau, with its yellow colour being a perfect match to the pink-coloured Macao Government Headquarters.
Along Travessa do Paiva, there are Portuguese-style buildings of a warm colour surrounded by dark green coconut trees and traveller’s trees. At sunset, the sky turns red and the sea breeze is gentle. How wonderful!

Travessa do Paiva