Home > History of Parishes and Streets > Parish of Sé > Travessa dos Mercadores

Travessa dos Mercadores

Travessa dos Mercadores is also known as “Eighteen Stores”. It is located in the southern area of the Parish of Sé. Running from Rua de Camilo Pessanha to Rua dos Mercadores, it is about 123 metres long and approximately 2 metres wide. It is a straight cement street running from the northwest to the southeast.
The earliest record of the street can be found in  “Boletim Oficial do Governo da Província de Macau e Timor” published on  26 July 1869. Its origin is closely related to local markets. The word “Mercadores” in its Portuguese name means “merchants”. “Eighteen Stores” refer to various industries closely related to daily life in general.
The layout of Macao as a city corresponds to the development of its maritime trade. In the early days, the streets which were perpendicular to the coastlines were formed spontaneously from docks and harbours to main residence areas. As Macao’s economy flourished, new streets and alleys began to form gradually along the coastlines in the inner harbour. Travessa dos Mercadores is one of them.
It is recorded that Travessa dos Mercadores was developed quite early. At the end of the 1870s, it was one of the busiest streets in the inner harbour area. Nowadays, along the alley there are still shops of some old industries, such as tailors, antique shops and repairers of household appliances.

Travessa dos Mercadores