Rua dos Mercadores

  The development of the Macao Peninsula has historically centred on and expanded from Rua dos Mercadores, which was also called "Macao Main Street", "Macao Street" or "Main Street".
  In 1557, the Ming government allowed the Portuguese citizens to rent and live in Macao. The Portuguese first settled in the area known today as Rua dos Mercadores and Senado Square. To protect themselves against pirates and prevent the Portuguese from overtaking additional territory, the governments of the Ming Dynasty and Qing Dynasty set up a military camp and stationed troops near the Sam Kai Vui Kun (Kuan Tai Temple), and thus the street became known as "Camp Street" in Chinese.

Rua dos Mercadores