Home > History of Parishes and Streets > Parish of Sé > Avenida do Infante D. Henrique

Avenida do Infante D. Henrique

  In 1932, the Portuguese administration decided to reclaim the sea area lying between St. Francisco fortress and the former government office building. In 1938, the Portuguese administration built a wide and straight road on the reclaimed land, naming it Avenida do Infante D. Henrique.
  A number of changes witnessed the development of Avenida do Infante D. Henrique, including the opening of the Praça de Ferreira do Amaral at the roundabout of Hotel Lisboa; the first mixed-use commercial and residential building, Edf. Rainha D. Leonor; the establishment of Liceu De Macau and Escola Comercial; the founding of Macao’s first five-star hotel, Lisboa Hotel; the rise of the Bank of China Tower; and the development of Friendship Square.

Avenida do Infante D. Henrique
Former Workers Stadium in Avenida do Infante D. Henrique